Monday, March 25, 2013

Recipe :: Forgotten Kisses

Anyone remember these meringue cookies? When I was young, my Mom would make these for the holidays tinted a festive shade of pink and green. Trust me, I was a girl in heaven if I could score a few of these babies off a cookie tray! And when I grew up, there was often a tin of these ready for me to take back to college after my breaks. This my friends, were the golden years! Skip scoring off a cookie tray and fast forward to girl hoarding a tin of cookies in her dorm room at Hamline! Oh yeah!

These cookies are light, crisp, airy and have chocolate. Yep, chocolate lovers, this one is for you!

Forgotten Kiss Low Fat Cookies!
I couldn't find my Mom's recipe, so I adapted Emeril's! Photo and recipe after the jump!

Forgotten Kisses
Emeril Lagasse
Ingredients
: I doubled the recipe and omitted the nuts :

2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2/3 cup superfine granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips : I used Callebaut
1 cup finely chopped walnuts : optional :
food coloring : optional :

Piped and ready to go in the oven!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until fluffy but not at all dry. (Be careful not to over beat.) Add the sugar gradually, about 3 tablespoons at a time. When 1/2 of the sugar has been added, add the vanilla extract. Continue beating and adding remaining sugar in batches, until all of the sugar is dissolved and the meringue is very shiny and tight. 

Gently fold in food coloring {if you're using it} and the chocolate chips and chopped nuts. Working one teaspoon at a time, push a teaspoonful of meringue from the tip of 1 teaspoon with the back of another teaspoon onto the lined baking sheets, leaving 1-inch of space between cookies. Place baking sheets in the preheated oven and turn the oven off. Leave the cookies (undisturbed) in the oven for at least 2 hours and up to overnight, or until cookies are crisp and dry.

Note: The only thing I did differently was I piped some meringue, then popped {3} regular size chocolate chips down, and piped some more on top. This was far more time consuming than Emeril's directions, but I wanted a smooth outer layer, with a peep of chocolate to surprise anyone that would bite into these sweet treats!

Try these out next time you're on the hunt for a tasty low fat cookie! 

Until next time,

Your Nostalgic Caramel Girl


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment